Quinebaug Valley Community College (QVCC) is part of a 2000-acre tract that James Danileson of Block Island purchased in 1707. The earliest known settler of this part of Killingly, he reportedly had seen the beautiful Quinebaug and Five Mike River valleys during campaigns in King Philip's War circa 1676.
The name of this mill village has changed twice: from Williamsville to Goodyear in 1916 and from Goodyear to Rogers in 1954. Situated adjacent to the Quinebaug River, this mill was fully equipped to make cloth from bales of cotton. Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. produced cotton duck for rubber tires in Rogers, and the company prospered during WWI. Rogers Company has owned and occupied the mill since 1935. The hurricane of 1955 destroyed many 19th century mill houses in the village.
The southern portion of Lake road contains beautiful forested hills that give way to open active farming fields, a Chestnut grove and the Quinebaug River. The northern portion of Lake Road is the Killingly Industrial Park - home to industries such as Brooks, Automatic Rolls, Pepsi and Coz Plastics. The Lake Road Generating Power Plant currently under construction off of Lake Road will be a 792 mega-watt, natural gas fired, combined cycle facility when complete. At the intersection of Lake Road and Tracy Road begins the Tracy Road Smart Parks trail - a 10’ wide pave recreational trail 1.2 miles in length. Current road improvements by the State are extending this trail into Putnam. Future expansions will link this trail with the Putnam River Trail on Kennedy Drive.
Attawaugan: site of one of the earliest cotton mills in NE Connecticut - The Stone Chapel Manufacturing Co. In 1825, Jabez Amesbury and Leonard Ballou purchased a grist mill in the general area of St. Anne’s, thus the name Ballouville. The present day Ballouville Factory was erected in the 1860’s. The Pineville Mill was the 3rd factory owned by the Attawaugan Mfg. Co. on the 5-Mile River during the 1800’s.
This reconstructed bridge (completed in 1999) crosses the Five Mile River and connects Putnam, River and Stone Road. The stone house dates back to 1820 (one of few in the region and is the most visible remains of a factory complex which was destroyed by fire in 1861. Foundations for tenement housing and the factory are still visible. In 1970, the entire site was named to the National Register of Historic Places as an Archeological site. From here to Putnam, the Five Mile River hosts a unique variety of ponds, wetlands and rolling terrain in which mink, fishers, eagles, pileated woodpeckers, great horned owls, beaver, even the occasional bear and moose have been seen.
This is one of the oldest roads in Killingly. By 1715, a group of families from the greater Boston area had settled this as the Chestnut Hill Purchase. Take a break at Palazzis Orchard and enjoy the great scenery and learn a little about the history of the area.
This is another 18th Century road and was used to travel to the mill site on Whetstone Brook and the meeting house in South Killingly. A small cemetery to the west is thought to contain burials of slave children who died escaping to freedom along the “underground railroad” routes in Eastern Killingly. Enjoy the scenic views, extensive farmland and rural character that attracts people to this region.
This village, clustered around the meeting house and grange hall, has good examples of 18th and early 19th century buildings. It served as the social center for all of the sparsely settled southeastern Killingly.
Originally a town park in 1909, Old Furnace was the site of an iron furnace during the 1830’s and 40’s. The park connects to Ross Pond State Park - protecting hundreds of acres of forest, hiking trails, scenic cliffs, streams, wetlands and ponds in Killingly.
During the early 1800’s, Franklin Street was a main stagecoach road between Providence and Hartford. Broad Street and Green Hollow Road were the main stagecoach routes between Norwich and Worcester. In the 1800’s a tavern was located at this intersection. Homes on Franklin and Broad Street display examples of a variety of architectural styles in both wood and stone.
A blacksmith and iron works had been erected near the corner of Main Street and Water Street in the 1770’s. During the 1780’s, one of the first woolen mills in Connecticut was constructed near the confluence of the Five-Mile and Quinebaug Rivers. Later assimilated into the Danielson Manufacturing Co., this area is one of the oldest textile site in the entire U.S. T he Danielson Co. store, located near the present brick factory, was run by Comfort Tiffany - Father of the famous NY jeweler Charles Tiffany - apparently born in a house on Maple Street in 1812.