11. Water Street

A blacksmith and iron works had been erected near the corner of Main Street and Water Street in the 1770ís. During the 1780ís, one of the first woolen mills in Connecticut was constructed near the confluence of the Five-Mile and Quinebaug Rivers. Later assimilated into the Danielson Manufacturing Co., this area is one of the oldest textile site in the entire U.S. T he Danielson Co. store, located near the present brick factory, was run by Comfort Tiffany - Father of the famous NY jeweler Charles Tiffany - apparently born in a house on Maple Street in 1812.